This article gives you information about the national highways in India. The list of national highways in India contains important information like NH number, route length, state/UT’s it’s passing through and other facts.
The Nationals highways in India are maintained by the National Highway Authority of India, under the ministry of Roads, Transport and Highways (MoRTH). According to the report of the Ministry of Roads, Transport and Highways (MoRTH) there are 599 National Highways in India. The numbers are renewed from time to time and the most updated information is available on the official website of MoRTH.
The National Highways are spanning all the states/UTs in India that connect most of the parts of the country. The total length of National Highways is 151,000 Kms.
This article will provide you with a list of major national highways in India as these are important for your upcoming competitive exams.
List of Important National Highways in India
The list of major national highways in India with the states/UTs it passes through.
|Old NH Number||New NH Number||States/UTs|
|NH 1 A and NH 1 D||NH 1||Jammu & Kashmir|
|NH 1 B||NH 244||Jammu & Kashmir|
|NH 2||NH 19 (Golden Quadrilateral)||Bihar, Delhi, Haryana, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal|
|NH 2A||NH 519||Uttar Pradesh|
|NH 2B||NH 114||West Bengal|
|NH 3 NH 50||NH 60||Maharashtra|
|NH 223||NH 4||Andaman & Nicobar Islands|
|NH 4 A||NH 748||Goa, Karnataka|
|NH 4 B||NH 348||Maharashtra|
|NH 5NH 6NH 60NH 217||NH 16 (Golden Quadrilateral)||Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal|
|NH 7||NH 135||Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh|
|NH 7 A||NH 138||Tamil Nadu|
|NH 8||NH 48 (Golden Quadrilateral)||Delhi, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu|
|NH 8 A||NH 41||Gujarat|
|NH 8 C||NH 147||Gujarat|
|NH 8 D||NH 151||Gujarat|
|NH 9||NH 65||Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Telangana|
|NH 11||NH 21||Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh|
|NH 11 A||NH 148||Rajasthan|
|NH 12||NH 45||Madhya Pradesh, Chattisgarh|
|NH 18 NH 4||NH 40||Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu|
|NH 21NH 22NH 95||NH 5||Haryana, Chandigarh, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab|
|NH 23||NH 320||Jharkhand|
|NH 24||NH 530||Uttar Pradesh|
|NH 30||NH 319||Bihar|
|NH 35||NH 112||West Bengal|
|NH 39||NH 129||Assam, Nagaland|
|NH 47||NH 544||Kerala, Tamil Nadu|
|NH 47 A||NH 966 B||Kerala|
|NH 47 C||NH 966 A||Kerala|
|NH 55||NH 110||West Bengal|
|NH 56||NH 731||Uttar Pradesh|
|NH 79||NH 156||Rajasthan|
|NH 152||NH 127 A||Assam|
|NH 38 & NH 153||NH 315||Assam, Arunachal Pradesh|
State Wise List of National Highways in India
Here is the list of the length of the National Highways (NH’s) passes through the states in India.
|State||Length of National Highways (Kms)|
How the National Highways in India numbered?
- North-South highways will have even numbers increasing from the east to the west.
- East-West highways will have odd numbers increasing from the north to the south.
- Single-digit or double-digit numbers will be used for all major highways.
- Three-digit numbers will be used for secondary routes or branches of a main highway. The secondary route number is prefixed to the main highway number. Example: 244, 344 will be secondary of the main NH44.
- Suffixes A, B, C, D, & etc. are added to 3-digit sub-highways to indicate very small spin-offs or stretches of sub-highways.
Facts About National Highways in India
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) is an autonomous agency that was constituted by an Act of Parliament in 1988 under the administrative control of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways NHAI is responsible for the management of the National Highways in India assigned to it by the Government of India.
- The longest national highway in India is NH 44. It covers the North-South Corridor of NHDP with a length of over 4,112 km (2,555 mi) from Srinagar to Kanyakumari.
- NH-548 is the shortest national highway in India that traverses the state of Maharashtra in India.
- There are a total 599 national highways in India.
The list of important National Highways in India is an important static GK topic for various competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, PSC, IBPS & other exams. Read all the points and facts about national highways above to score well in your upcoming exam.